Tuesday 29 October 2013

Welcome to our blog! Thank you for reading about our big adventure south as we embark on a season  of wildlife filming at Port Lockroy - a real working post office surrounded by a colony of 4000 gentoo penguins on Goudier Island, just off the Antarctic Peninsula. My name is Ruth and I am working with Andrew Graham-Brown (AGB Films) to make a Natural World film called Penguin Post Office.

So our adventure has now well and truly begun... We set off from the UK on Monday night and arrived in Buenos Aires today (Tuesday) after a 14 hour flight. We then took another, shorter flight to Ushuaia, where we are currently staying the night.



This was the view from the plane as we landed in Ushuaia - hopefully a taste of the stunning views to come. 



Our kit took up 4 trolleys in Ushuaia. Here Andrew is waiting with Tudor Morgan (Antarctic Heritage Trust) and all the kit at the airport in Buenos Aires.  


This my new favourite hat! A leaving present from my brother which I love and will be making my lucky mascot. Andrew is less keen...  It's been approved by people I've met at the the airport though and should keep me warm! :D 

We aim to set sail tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, if the weather stays on our side. We will be sailing on the yacht Pelagic and I hope to be able to update you with our journey as it progresses.

5 comments:

  1. I can't see any sign of the penguin onesie....? I assume that it is safely packed in one of the many bags :o) Good luck guys, we are looking forward to hearing all about it, and seeing the footage of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time in one of the most fascinating places on Earth. I wish you luck with filmmaking and I'm sure you'll make a wonderful account of your adventure.
    Actually, I'm a postcard collector and I'm doing this for my 3-year-old twins to show them the wonders of the world by means of postcards. I I have already received postcards from Port Lockroy (http://peterslettercollection.blogspot.hu/2012/12/british-antarctic-terr-319.html), Signy and Halley bases (see our blog at: peterslettercollection.blogspot.hu) but I wonder if you could send another postcard from Port Lockroy written and stamped. I hope it's not too much of a request and you'd make two children (and one adult) extremely happy. :)
    Our address is:

    Korponay-Szabó Péter
    Deák Ferenc u. 94.
    Pilisvörösvár
    H-2085
    Hungary

    Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth: Palmer's ice partly cleared yesterday, and the ship is tied up at their jetty - some loose ice moved in this p.m. Hope you make Goudier by Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Message to Andrew Graham-Brown: Emma told me about the blog. Best of luck filming. Message to members of the crew: do NOT allow Andrew anywhere near the navigation system of the yacht if you want to get to the Antartic in one piece. If he complains just say 'Buckler's Hard 1986' and he'll desist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a simply amazing opportunity. I visited Port Lockroy in January this year. Amazing place. I have also stumbled across the Pelagic blog...and read that you are stuck in ice. AND...so close to your new home. I look forward to following the blog. Have a blast with all those penguins and good luck when the cruise ships descend on you.

    ReplyDelete